How do I prepare for an interview?
You've landed a job interview, what now? What will they ask? Ok, take a deep breath, and read the information below. We have put together a list of information that an employer will most likely want to know about you, so you will be prepared to answer with confidence!
- The Definition
A job interview is an opportunity for employers and applicants to discuss job requirements and qualifications. During the interview
applicants may ask questions about the job and company. It is likely the employer will make a decision about who to hire based on this
- Tips for a successful interview
- Be prepared, practice possible questions and write down some answers to them. Do some research about the company so you know who they are and what they are about.
- Be punctual - don't just be on time for the interview - be about ten minutes early.
- Go to the interview neat and clean. Avoid being overly made-up; it is best to dress conservatively.
- Have good body language, make sure to offer a good firm handshake and have good posture.
- Be enthusiastic, show no negativity towards old employers or co-workers.
- Plan ahead, take all necessary information, a resume, letters of recommendation and samples of your work.
- Be positive, make sure to thank the interviewer at the end of the interview and make sure to smile.
- Relax, before you go into your interview take some deep breaths and clear your thoughts.
- Sample questions the interviewer might ask
- Tell me a little about yourself.
- Why are you interested in working for our company?
- Why do you feel you are qualified for this job?
- What work experience do you have?
- What is your greatest strengths/weakness?
- What special training have you had for this job?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- Sample questions YOU may ask in an interview
- What would a typical day on the job be for this position?
- Who supervises this position?
- What are the specific job duties and responsibilities?
- Will there be a training period?
- How do you like a person to dress for this position?
- Do you have any questions about my resume or application?
- Is there any additional information I can provide?
The interview is your time to show yourself in the best light and sell yourself to the employer that you are the right person for the
job. Remember, everything you do and say makes an impression about you. What you wear, how you speak and act all make an
impression about you.
Workshops are offered on this topic and many others, so be sure to check out our